Legislature(2009 - 2010)CAPITOL 17

03/18/2010 01:00 PM TRANSPORTATION


Download Mp3. <- Right click and save file as

* first hearing in first committee of referral
+ teleconferenced
= bill was previously heard/scheduled
*+ HB 226 NAMING VETERANS' WAY IN MAT-SU TELECONFERENCED
Moved CSHB 226(TRA) Out of Committee
*+ HB 261 TRANSPORTATION PROJECT DISCLOSURES TELECONFERENCED
Moved CSHB 261(TRA) Out of Committee
*+ HB 262 MOTORCYCLE AWARENESS MONTH TELECONFERENCED
Moved CSHB 262(TRA) Out of Committee
+ Bills Previously Heard/Scheduled TELECONFERENCED
+= HB 257 BAN CELL PHONE USE WHEN DRIVING TELECONFERENCED
Moved CSHB 257(TRA) Out of Committee
           HB 261-TRANSPORTATION PROJECT DISCLOSURES                                                                        
                                                                                                                              
1:31:56 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
CHAIR P.  WILSON announced that  the next order of  business would                                                              
be   HOUSE  BILL NO.  261,  "An Act  requiring  the Department  of                                                              
Transportation   and  Public   Facilities   to   publish  on   the                                                              
department's   Internet   website  reports   regarding   contracts                                                              
awarded for transportation projects."                                                                                           
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE  MUNOZ  moved  to   adopt  the  proposed  committee                                                              
substitute (CS)  for HB 261,  labeled 26-LS1129\R,  Kane, 3/17/10,                                                              
as the  working document.   There  being no  objection, Version  R                                                              
was before the committee.                                                                                                       
                                                                                                                                
1:32:23 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE KELLER asked staff to present the bill.                                                                          
                                                                                                                                
JIM  POUND,   Staff,  Representative  Wes  Keller,   Alaska  State                                                              
Legislature, explained  that HB 261 would  consolidate information                                                              
on  DOT&PF's website  to provide  some  details on  projects.   He                                                              
explained   that  initially   the  sponsor   wanted  all   of  the                                                              
information on projects  posted to the website.   However, much of                                                              
the  information  is technical  information,  which  is of  little                                                              
interest  to  the  public.   The  proposed  committee  substitute,                                                              
Version  R,  provides a  list  of  the  information that  will  be                                                              
posted that  is of interest to  people.  He characterized  Version                                                              
R  as a  collaborative  effort between  the  DOT&PF  and the  bill                                                              
sponsor.                                                                                                                        
                                                                                                                                
1:34:18 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE    GRUENBERG    suggested     that    several    of                                                              
Representative  Keller's bills  should be  combined into  a single                                                              
bill.                                                                                                                           
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE KELLER  explained that the bills are  two different                                                              
bills,  with   one  directed   at  DOT&PF   to  make   information                                                              
accessible, and  the other about  the DOT&PF structure.   He added                                                              
that the  DOT&PF has been  very cooperative  in working on  HB 261                                                              
and  has actually  started  to implement  the  process of  posting                                                              
project information  to its website.   This bill would  direct the                                                              
DOT&PF to enhance that process.                                                                                                 
                                                                                                                                
1:35:35 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE  GRUENBERG  recalled  that  he did  not  track  the                                                              
differences between the two versions of the bill.                                                                               
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE KELLER  explained that the original  bill asked for                                                              
complex information,  including  technical specifications  and all                                                              
subcontractors   involved  in  the   construction  project.     He                                                              
explained  that  the  specific  information  of  interest  to  the                                                              
public would provide  such items as the status of  a project and a                                                              
timeline with percentage of project completion.                                                                                 
                                                                                                                                
1:36:25 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE  MUNOZ referred  to page  2, line  2, of Version  R                                                              
and to  the expenditures in  subparagraph (E).   She asked  if the                                                              
reporting requirement would be onerous for the department.                                                                      
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE  KELLER explained  the  DOT&PF  requested that  the                                                              
updates to  the website be made  on their normal  update schedule,                                                              
which was satisfactory to him.                                                                                                  
                                                                                                                                
1:37:09 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
MARY  SIROKY, Legislative  Liaison,  Office  of the  Commissioner,                                                              
Department  of   Transportation  &  Public   Facilities  (DOT&PF),                                                              
explained  the DOT&PF  shares the  goal with  the bill sponsor  to                                                              
have  information easily  accessible  to the  public.   One  issue                                                              
that needed to  be addressed was the project  status after funding                                                              
is appropriated,  but before  the "shovel"  or piece of  equipment                                                              
moves.  The environmental authorization and utility, right-of-                                                                  
way,  and design  phases  can take  years.   The  DOT&PF likes  to                                                              
provide  the information  to  the  public in  a  well thought  out                                                              
manner.   The  DOT&PF currently  lists the  American Recovery  and                                                              
Reinvestment  Act  of  2009  (ARRA)  project  information  on  its                                                              
website,  but the  DOT&PF project  information is  limited to  the                                                              
construction costs so the information would not contain pre-                                                                    
construction details.   She reiterated that the  DOT&PF desires to                                                              
provide  the  information   and  hoped  it  will   be  helpful  to                                                              
constituents and to the legislature.                                                                                            
                                                                                                                                
1:39:20 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE   PETERSEN  referred   to   page  2,   line  4   of                                                              
subparagraph (F),  which read, "future funding needed  to complete                                                              
the project;"  which he said can  be "a moving target."   He asked                                                              
whether that would be difficult to accurately fulfill.                                                                          
                                                                                                                                
MS. SIROKY  answered that  the DOT&PF should  be able  to identify                                                              
the  funding.   She  explained  that  usually a  funding  obstacle                                                              
means  reducing  the scope  of  the  project.   This  subparagraph                                                              
should  allow the DOT&PF  to identify  the additional  cost.   She                                                              
did  not think  it  would  be onerous.    She related  the  DOT&PF                                                              
should  be  able  to  pull  some   information  from  its  current                                                              
databases.    She  acknowledged  that  project  descriptions  will                                                              
require staff to write "in plain English" and not in "engineer-                                                                 
speak."   She explained that some  tasks cannot be  automated, but                                                              
the  DOT&PF believes  this process  is  important.   Additionally,                                                              
the DOT&PF  is would like create  a timeline so people  can get an                                                              
idea of  the percentage  of the project  completed in  relation to                                                              
the overall project.                                                                                                            
                                                                                                                                
1:41:34 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE  T. WILSON  asked  if the  work  is done  in-house,                                                              
whether this would include the costs of the environmental stage.                                                                
                                                                                                                                
MS. SIROKY stated  that the DOT&PF will develop  a project website                                                              
after  the  bill and  capital  budget  is  passed and  funding  is                                                              
appropriated.   In further response  to Representative  T. Wilson,                                                              
she  also explained  the DOT&PF  would  identify the  expenditures                                                              
and update the website  every six months.  The  website would show                                                              
the expenditures  incurred internally but would not  list the man-                                                              
hours, she stated.                                                                                                              
                                                                                                                                
MS. SIROKY,  in response to T.  Wilson, explained that  the DOT&PF                                                              
would  identify  the  prime  contractor,  but  would  not  provide                                                              
information  on contracts prior  to construction;  so it  will not                                                              
cover survey,  utility, or environmental  (EIS) costs.   This bill                                                              
would identify  contractor costs  beginning with the  construction                                                              
phase, she stated.                                                                                                              
                                                                                                                                
1:44:32 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
CHAIR  P. WILSON  asked whether  costs  would be  broken down  for                                                              
right-of-way permitting and design.                                                                                             
                                                                                                                                
MS. SIROKY  clarified that  the timeline  would identify  when the                                                              
project is  in the EIS  phase and if  that phase lasts  two years,                                                              
the  "bar would  move every  six  months."   However, the  website                                                              
will not  identify a list  of contractors  and if the  phase since                                                              
only the prime  contractor would be listed once  the project moves                                                              
to the construction phase.                                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                
1:45:29 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
MS. SIROKY,  in response to  Representative Petersen,  stated that                                                              
the  information will  not speak  to the  actual road  conditions.                                                              
The DOT&PF  will independently  update the  DOT&PF's "511  system"                                                              
with  a  new  road traffic  awareness  system  that  will  provide                                                              
information such as "This road is closed."                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                
1:46:26 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE   GRUENBERG  recalled  that   the  state   of  Utah                                                              
received numerous awards  and one of two states to  receive an "A"                                                              
rating since  they provided  good information  to the public.   He                                                              
thinks this  bill is good step in  the right direction.   He asked                                                              
whether the  list in the bill  should be published  by regulation,                                                              
to avoid  coming to the legislature  each time something  changes.                                                              
He further asked  whether the bill should have  the flexibility to                                                              
allow the DOT&PF to publish regulations.                                                                                        
                                                                                                                                
MS.  SIROKY  stated  that  the DOT&PF  has  the  authority  to  do                                                              
provide  future information.    The DOT&PF  did  not believe  that                                                              
writing  regulations  would be  beneficial.    The DOT&PF  is  not                                                              
seeking others  to comply,  just to  act as  an agency  to provide                                                              
additional information to the public.                                                                                           
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE   GRUENBERG   suggested   that   the  name   of   a                                                              
contracting  company should  also list  a contact  number and  the                                                              
name of  the person  at the  DOT&PF should  be listed,  along with                                                              
their contact information.                                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                
1:49:33 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
MS.  SIROKY  stated  that  the   DOT&PF  always  provides  contact                                                              
information and  she anticipated the  name and contact  number for                                                              
the DOT&PF person  would be listed on the website.   She expressed                                                              
concern  in   terms  of   listing  a  phone   and  e-mail   for  a                                                              
construction contractor,  since that person may not  want to field                                                              
public comments.                                                                                                                
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE    GRUENBERG   suggested    including   that    the                                                              
information for a contractor would likely be in the phone book.                                                                 
                                                                                                                                
MS.  SIROKY  related  that it  would  not  be  a problem  to  have                                                              
contractor  information available,  but she  suggested that  it be                                                              
nested in the DOT&PF's database instead of manually added.                                                                      
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE  GRUENBERG said he  did not want  to hold  the bill                                                              
up, but thought the public might appreciate the information.                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
MS. SIROKY  agreed the  DOT&PF could  include any information  can                                                              
be easily "pulled" into the database.                                                                                           
                                                                                                                                
1:51:26 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
CHAIR  P. WILSON  remarked that  contractors may  not want  people                                                              
calling  them  while  they  are  in the  midst  of  working  on  a                                                              
project.                                                                                                                        
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE  GRUENBERG   suggested  the  DOT&PF   consider  the                                                              
concept,  with a  human contact.   He  thought it  may reduce  the                                                              
public's frustration.                                                                                                           
                                                                                                                                
1:52:16 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE  JOHANSEN  referred  to  page  1,  line  10-11,  of                                                              
HB 261  to  the  information  to  be reported.    He  related  his                                                              
understanding  that  the  DOT&PF   undergoes  a  long  process  on                                                              
projects.      Projects   are  reviewed   during   the   Statewide                                                              
Transportation   Improvement  Program   (STIP)  process   and  are                                                              
nominated by communities.   He stated that the  legislature has to                                                              
approve every  appropriation included in  the capital budget.   He                                                              
pointed out the  list of items in the bill is  information already                                                              
compiled by  the department.  He  further stated that he  does not                                                              
have any problem  with HB 261, but objects to the  amount of money                                                              
DOT&PF says  they need to  accomplish the website  enhancements as                                                              
reflected in the  fiscal note.  He said he does  not want hold the                                                              
bill up.                                                                                                                        
                                                                                                                                
MS. SIROKY responded  that the fiscal note was  written to reflect                                                              
the  requirements in  the  original  version of  the  bill.   That                                                              
version  of the  bill had  the DOT&PF  collecting information  not                                                              
readily available  in its  databases.   The extensive  information                                                              
requested included  details for  all contracts, planning,  design,                                                              
and historical information.                                                                                                     
                                                                                                                                
1:56:19 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE JOHANSEN  asked for the  reason that the  bill even                                                              
has a fiscal note.                                                                                                              
                                                                                                                                
MS.  SIROKY  explained  that the  administration's  policy  is  to                                                              
prepare  a  fiscal  note  on bills  for  the  first  committee  of                                                              
referral  and  to   update  the  fiscal  note   once  a  committee                                                              
substitute has been adopted and passes out of the committee.                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
CHAIR  P. WILSON  asked  whether she  could  project the  DOT&PF's                                                              
needs to accomplish the website enhancements.                                                                                   
                                                                                                                                
MS. SIROKY answered  that the DOT&PF would likely  need one person                                                              
and  some  initial consulting  costs  for  the  first year.    She                                                              
related that the  DOT&PF has not done any fiscal  note projections                                                              
yet.                                                                                                                            
                                                                                                                                
CHAIR P. WILSON agreed most of the information is compiled.                                                                     
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE JOHANSEN  expressed frustration that  the committee                                                              
does not  know the  fiscal impact.   He  thought the policy  slows                                                              
down  the  process,  noting  that   members  must  decide  matters                                                              
without  having the  full impact.   He  expressed his  frustration                                                              
with the administration's policy.                                                                                               
                                                                                                                                
1:59:06 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
CHAIR  P.  WILSON  recalled  that the  DOT&PF  retains  a  certain                                                              
amount of administrative  costs and asked whether  this bill would                                                              
increase the administrative project costs.                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                
MS. SIROKY  answered no.   She  stated that  the fiscal  note will                                                              
reflect funding for one additional person in the department.                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE  GRUENBERG  agreed   with  Representative  Johansen                                                              
that he shared the concern on the fiscal note.                                                                                  
                                                                                                                                
2:00:14 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE T.  WILSON asked what information  is not currently                                                              
provided.                                                                                                                       
                                                                                                                                
MS. SIROKY  offered that  initially, the  DOT&PF would  create the                                                              
project schedule  and geographic location at the  beginning of the                                                              
project.   The DOT&PF  would expand  on the project's  description                                                              
and project status,  pull information from other  databases on any                                                              
appropriations or  expenditures.  The DOT&PF would  also calculate                                                              
anticipated  future funding  and determine  and input the  project                                                              
phase.  The DOT&PF  would pull information from  the Department of                                                              
Labor &  Workforce Development's  (DLWD) database to  identify the                                                              
prime contractor.                                                                                                               
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE  T. WILSON suggested  that she  does not  think the                                                              
planned  information provides  enough  project information,  since                                                              
it only  identifies  the contractor.   She offered  that the  bill                                                              
appears to provide  transparency.  She expressed  concern that all                                                              
the steps are not listed, including the environmental, right-of-                                                                
way,  and  surveying costs  that  the  public  should be  able  to                                                              
access.   She asked  if the  reason for  limiting the  details was                                                              
due to the cost of providing the details.                                                                                       
                                                                                                                                
2:02:57 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
MS.  SIROKY agreed  since  that  type of  detail  would require  a                                                              
significant  amount  of manpower.    Some  work is  performed  in-                                                              
house.   The DOT&PF  looked at  the construction  contract  as the                                                              
place that  people may  be most interested.   The DOT&PF  reviewed                                                              
the  aspects   of  the  construction   process  to   identify  the                                                              
information  people may  be interested  in, such  as who a  person                                                              
would contact for a job.                                                                                                        
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE  T.  WILSON  related her  understanding  that  this                                                              
bill  is not  really about  providing information  to the  public,                                                              
but is another  way for the DLWD  to find people to  employ in the                                                              
private sector.                                                                                                                 
                                                                                                                                
MS. SIROKY reiterated the DOT&PF's interest in providing wide-                                                                  
ranging  information  to the  public.   She  offered  that if  the                                                              
legislature   wants  more   information   provided  the   DOT&PF's                                                              
interest  is to  do so.    This bill,  Version  R, represents  the                                                              
easiest  way  to provide  information  on  projects on  a  regular                                                              
basis.                                                                                                                          
                                                                                                                                
CHAIR P.  WILSON imagined  that the DOT&PF  has a project  manager                                                              
on  projects who  tracks  the expenditures  and  timetables.   She                                                              
related  she  is  having  difficulty  understanding  why  all  the                                                              
information  is  not currently  contained  in  one place  and  the                                                              
necessity to contact numerous people to obtain it.                                                                              
                                                                                                                                
MS. SIROKY related  her understanding that the  DOT&PF can provide                                                              
the expenditures,  but could  not easily  identify the  individual                                                              
subcontractor's  expenses.   She  offered to  meet  with the  data                                                              
processing  staff.  She  explained that  the DOT&PF reviewed  with                                                              
Representative  Keller the  items  the public  is most  interested                                                              
in,  not to  track the  project's  expenditures each  step of  the                                                              
way.                                                                                                                            
                                                                                                                                
2:07:03 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
CHAIR P.  WILSON recapped  her understanding  that the  DOT&PF has                                                              
different   data   bases   for   right-of-way,   permitting,   and                                                              
environmental   processes   until  it   comes   together  at   the                                                              
construction phase as a project.                                                                                                
                                                                                                                                
2:07:57 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE  T.  WILSON  maintained that  the  project  manager                                                              
should have the information compiled.                                                                                           
                                                                                                                                
MS. SIROKY  offered that  the DOT&PF  has a  design team  for some                                                              
projects, while other  projects are handled in  a more streamlined                                                              
manner.   She offered  to hold  more discussions  and provide  the                                                              
information.                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE KELLER  appreciated the questions.   He offered his                                                              
intent to stay  at the "100,000  foot level", but not  to hold the                                                              
DOT&PF  accountable for  detailed expenditures.   He  acknowledged                                                              
the  diversity of  the information  and  related the  right-of-way                                                              
procurement may be  the biggest cost associated  with the project.                                                              
He explained  that posting this  information becomes complex.   He                                                              
said   that  he  began   the  project   at  the   same  level   as                                                              
Representative T.  Wilson indicated,  in terms of  wanting details                                                              
posted.   Ultimately, he decided that  people could view  a map of                                                              
Matanuska-Susitna Borough,  could click on "Trunk  Road," and find                                                              
out when  a project  was initiated, the  budgeted amount,  and the                                                              
projected costs.   He related that  the website would  contain the                                                              
basics  to  describe  "the  big  picture."   He  noted  that  some                                                              
numbers  are  continually  changing, such  as  procurement  costs.                                                              
Property  values change  from the  initiation of  a project  until                                                              
the surveying  and right-of-way is  completed.  He  explained that                                                              
it  can become  complicated  since so  many  issues are  involved.                                                              
Therefore, he  said he asked  the DOT&PF to  keep it simple.   The                                                              
goal  is not  to track  expenditures for  a project,  but just  to                                                              
provide some basic construction information on projects.                                                                        
                                                                                                                                
2:11:25 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE PETERSEN  asked whether it  is possible to  write a                                                              
program  that automatically  updates information  to avoid  manual                                                              
posting.                                                                                                                        
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE  KELLER  stated   that  it  is  complex  since  the                                                              
information is not all available on one screen.                                                                                 
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE   PETERSEN  thought   perhaps  the  technology   is                                                              
available  to do  so and  perhaps investing  more initially  later                                                              
may result in cost reductions to the overall website.                                                                           
                                                                                                                                
CHAIR P. WILSON  remarked that state government  is "pathetic with                                                              
this  type of  thing".   Initially, a  database program  may be  a                                                              
good  program,   but  as   technology  advances,  programming   is                                                              
necessary  and the  cost to  access  information is  unbelievable.                                                              
She recalled  similar circumstances  in the  Department of  Health                                                              
and Social Services system.                                                                                                     
                                                                                                                                
2:13:45 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE   MUNOZ  asked   whether  the   "big  picture"   is                                                              
currently available on the DOT&PF's website.                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
MS.  SIROKY  answered  that  not  all projects  are  listed.    In                                                              
further response  to Representative Munoz, she explained  that the                                                              
DOT&PF provides  information on its  website on some  high profile                                                              
projects.  She related  her understanding that the  goal of HB 261                                                              
is for  the DOT&PF  to provide  a webpage  for every  construction                                                              
project that receives an appropriation.                                                                                         
                                                                                                                                
2:14:56 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE  MUNOZ  recalled  the  stimulus  monies  the  state                                                              
recently  received.    She  applauded   the  DOT&PF's  efforts  to                                                              
acquire the funds and manage the projects.                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                
MS.  SIROKY, in  response to  Representative  Munoz, offered  that                                                              
the  DOT&PF  hopes to  provide  "good  solid information"  to  the                                                              
public, which  she thought  would ultimately  reduce the  DOT&PF's                                                              
workload.  The DOT&PF  would like the public to be  able to access                                                              
the information  on the website rather  than for them to  call the                                                              
office or the engineer to obtain the information.                                                                               
                                                                                                                                
MS. SIROKY,  in response to  Representative T. Wilson,  offered to                                                              
discuss the  scope of information to  provide to the public.   She                                                              
pointed out  that until  the pre-construction  phase is  completed                                                              
that  the contractor's  name would  not  be listed.   She  related                                                              
that the  contractor information would  be available once  the bid                                                              
is awarded  and the department could  look at the cost  of posting                                                              
certain "big chunks" of information.                                                                                            
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE  T. WILSON  thought providing  the information  "in                                                              
chunks"  could  be a  great  tool,  but  she  would not  want  the                                                              
department to spend a lot of money compiling the information.                                                                   
                                                                                                                                
2:18:57 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE  JOHANSEN asked  whether  the DOT&PF  has a  public                                                              
information officer on staff.                                                                                                   
                                                                                                                                
MS. SIROKY answered yes.                                                                                                        
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE  JOHANSEN  asked how  the  DOT&PF  would track  $30                                                              
million  designated  for a  road  without a  single  appropriation                                                              
source and the allocation.                                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                
MS.  SIROKY referred  to  page 1,  line  14 to  subparagraph  (D),                                                              
which  would  identify  the fund  sources  of  the  appropriation.                                                              
Thus,  a fund  source  would be  listed by  project.   In  further                                                              
response  to   Representative  Johansen,  she  related   that  the                                                              
specific  project would  identify the  fund source.   She  did not                                                              
envision that  this project  would list  all fund source  changes.                                                              
In order for  a person to track  the changes he/she would  need to                                                              
know the initial  source of funding, but this  bill would identify                                                              
any funding source that changed on specific projects.                                                                           
                                                                                                                                
2:22:57 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
CHAIR P.  WILSON recalled a project  that began as the  "Alaska BC                                                              
line" but  stalled during the process.   She asked whether  such a                                                              
project would be listed on the website.                                                                                         
                                                                                                                                
MS. SIROKY  related that  this bill  would identify projects  from                                                              
the effective date  forward, but in the instance a  project was in                                                              
the  limbo phase  that  a balance  would  be  associated with  the                                                              
project.    She anticipated  that  if  the  funding was  used  for                                                              
something else, the funds would decrease.                                                                                       
                                                                                                                                
CHAIR P.  WILSON asked whether it  would show the  funding shifted                                                              
to another project.                                                                                                             
                                                                                                                                
MS.  SIROKY  offered  that  this  process  has  not  been  thought                                                              
through   yet,   but  it   seemed   reasonable  to   assume   that                                                              
reappropriation funds  would identify the  projects.  She  was not                                                              
certain how that would be handled.                                                                                              
                                                                                                                                
2:24:53 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE JOHANSEN  referred to page  1, line 6,  which read,                                                              
"When  an appropriation  has been  made  to the  department for  a                                                              
transportation  project..."    He  remarked that  the  DOT&PF  has                                                              
large amounts of  authorizations for projects so he  was unsure if                                                              
the  legislature  is  going  to  gain  more  information  in  this                                                              
process.                                                                                                                        
                                                                                                                                
MS. SIROKY,  in response to a  question, related that the  bill is                                                              
triggered by an  appropriation, not an authorization.   In further                                                              
response to Chair  Wilson, said she was not sure  the DOT&PF would                                                              
handle  internal preliminary  design work  performed for  projects                                                              
that it contemplates.                                                                                                           
                                                                                                                                
2:29:01 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE  JOHANSEN referred  to allocations  in the  state's                                                              
Capital   Improvement  Budget   (CIB)   and   asked  whether   the                                                              
legislature would be  able to identify projects that  have been in                                                              
the planning phase for five years, but never quite get built.                                                                   
                                                                                                                                
MS.  SIROKY hoped  this  process  would identify  the  information                                                              
taken during those five years in the planning phase.                                                                            
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE JOHANSEN said he supports the concept for HB 261.                                                                
                                                                                                                                
2:31:06 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE T. WILSON asked about road service area funding.                                                                 
                                                                                                                                
MS. SIROKY  said she  was unfamiliar  with the  road service  area                                                              
funds.                                                                                                                          
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE T.  WILSON asked  if district funds  were allocated                                                              
to road service areas whether the funds would be tracked.                                                                       
                                                                                                                                
MS. SIROKY  asked whether the funds  would be part of  the state's                                                              
CIB  or if  the  funds  are appropriated  not  by  the DOT&PF  but                                                              
through   Department   of   Commerce,    Community,   &   Economic                                                              
Development grants.                                                                                                             
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE T. WILSON  said she was unsure, but  said she would                                                              
check.                                                                                                                          
                                                                                                                                
2:32:28 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE MUNOZ  move moved to report the  proposed committee                                                              
substitute  (CS)  for  HB 261,  labeled  Version  R,  26-LS1129\R,                                                              
Kane, 3/17/10,  out of committee  with individual  recommendations                                                              
and the accompanying fiscal notes.                                                                                              
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE  T. WILSON  objected.   She commented  that she  is                                                              
interested information on how projects are tracked.                                                                             
                                                                                                                                
MS.  SIROKY  agreed that  she  would  provide the  information  no                                                              
matter what happens to this bill.                                                                                               
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE T. WILSON removed her objection.                                                                                 
                                                                                                                                
2:33:08 PM                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE  PETERSEN  objected.   He  remarked  that he  would                                                              
like to  have someone  in DOT&PF check  into computer  program and                                                              
modern technology  to reduce  the manpower  needed to  provide the                                                              
website information.                                                                                                            
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE  GRUENBERG  remarked   that  he  is  interested  in                                                              
having contact information provided on the DOT&PF website.                                                                      
                                                                                                                                
REPRESENTATIVE PETERSEN removed his objection.                                                                                  
                                                                                                                                
There  being  no   further  objections,  the  CSHB   261(TRA)  was                                                              
reported from the House Transportation Standing Committee.                                                                      
                                                                                                                                

Document Name Date/Time Subjects
hb 261 sponsor stmt.pdf HTRA 3/18/2010 1:00:00 PM
HB 261
HB 262 sponsor stmt.pdf HTRA 3/18/2010 1:00:00 PM
HB 262
HB226 sponsor Stmt.pdf HTRA 3/18/2010 1:00:00 PM
HB 226
HB226 Backup.pdf HTRA 3/18/2010 1:00:00 PM
HB 226
HB262 Backup.pdf HTRA 3/18/2010 1:00:00 PM
HB 262
HB261 backup.pdf HTRA 3/18/2010 1:00:00 PM
HB 261
CSHB261ver R.pdf HTRA 3/18/2010 1:00:00 PM
HB 261