5 AAC 92.200. Purchase and sale of game
(a) In accordance with AS 16.05.920
(a) and 16.05.930(e), the purchase, sale, or barter of game or any part of game is permitted except as provided in this section.
(b) Except as provided in 5 AAC 92.031,
a person may not purchase, sell, advertise, or otherwise offer for sale:
(1) any part of a brown bear, except an article of handicraft made from the fur of a brown bear, and except skulls and hides with claws attached of brown bears harvested in areas where the bag limit is two bears per regulatory year;
(2) a big game trophy, or a black bear trophy of any kind;
(3) a big game animal skull, except the skull of a black bear, wolf, or wolverine, or a horn or antler that is still attached to any part of the skull;
(4) the antler of a caribou taken in Unit 23, unless the antler is a naturally shed antler or has been made into an article of handicraft;
(5) unsealed marten taken in Units 1 - 7, and 15, or unsealed fisher taken in Units 1 - 5, except as provided in 5 AAC 92.170(a)
(6) unsealed beaver taken in Units 1 - 11 and Units 13 - 17;
(7) unsealed land otter, lynx, wolf, or wolverine;
(8) the meat of big game and small game, except hares and rabbits;
(9) the gallbladder of a bear.
(c) A person may not barter, advertise for barter, or otherwise offer for barter
(1) a big game trophy, or a black bear trophy of any kind;
(2) the antler of a caribou taken in Unit 23, unless the antler is a naturally shed antler or has been made into an article of handicraft;
(3) the gallbladder of a bear.
(d) Notwithstanding (b)(2) and (3) of this section, a licensed taxidermist, estate executor, divorced person, or bankruptcy referee, may sell a skin or trophy by permit issued under 5 AAC 92.031,
and the state may sell a skin or trophy as excess property. A person may purchase and possess an animal skin or trophy sold under this subsection. However, a person may not resell a skin or trophy purchased from a seller under this subsection.
(e) the barter of subsistence-taken game meat is subject to the following:
(1) the following individuals and businesses are prohibited from engaging in the barter of game meat taken for subsistence uses:
(A) a person or business holding a license under AS 43.70
or AS 43.75,
or its employee, to engage in the commercial sale of the food items or nonedible items provided by the barter exchange; and
(B) a person or business licensed under AS 43.70
or AS 43.75,
or its employee, to engage in providing the services provided by the barter exchange;
(2) the terms of this subsection do not restrict barter of furs and furbearers, or barter of handicrafts;
(3) a person may not barter a big game animal horn or antler that is still attached to any part of the skull, or a big game animal skull, except the skull of a black bear, wolf, or wolverine;
(4) in this subsection, "commercial" means for profit or disposal in commercial channels.
History: Eff. 7/5/85, Register 95; am 11/1/85, Register 96; am 8/8/87, Register 103; am 7/14/88, Register 107; am 8/20/89, Register 111; am 8/10/91, Register 119; am 5/5/93, Register 126; readopt 5/13/93, Register 126; am 7/1/98, Register 146; am 7/1/2002, Register 162; am 7/1/2003, Register 166; am 7/1/2004, Register 170; am 12/30/2004, Register 172; am 7/1/2010, Register 194; am 7/1/2012, Register 202; add'l am 7/1/2012, Register 202; am 7/1/2013, Register 206; am 7/1/2014, Register 210; am 7/1/2016, Register 218
Authority: AS 16.05.255
Editor's note: At its November 9 - 11, 1992, January 19 - 28, 1993 meeting, the Board of Game readopted 5 AAC 92.200
in its entirety, without change, under ch. 1, SSSLA 1992 (the 1992 subsistence law), which repealed and reenacted AS 16.05.258