7 AAC 110.625. Telemedicine applications; limitations
(a) The department will pay a provider for a telemedicine application if the provider provided the medical services through one of the following methods of delivery in the specified manner:
(1) live or interactive; to be eligible for payment under this paragraph, the service must be provided through the use of camera, video, or dedicated audio conference equipment on a real-time basis; medical services provided by a telephone that is not part of a dedicated audio conference system or by a facsimile machine are not eligible for payment under this paragraph;
(2) store-and-forward; to be eligible for payment under this paragraph, the service must be provided through the transference of digital images, sounds, or previously recorded video from one location to another to allow a consulting provider to obtain information, analyze it, and report back to the referring provider;
(3) self-monitoring or testing; to be eligible for payment under this paragraph, the services must be provided by a telemedicine application based in the recipient's home, with the provider only indirectly involved in the provision of the service.
(b) The department will only make a payment for a telemedicine application if the service is limited to
(1) an initial visit;
(2) a follow-up visit;
(3) a consultation made to confirm a diagnosis;
(4) a diagnostic, therapeutic, or interpretive service;
(5) a psychiatric or substance abuse assessment;
(6) psychotherapy; or
(7) pharmacological management services on an individual recipient basis.
History: Eff. 2/1/2010, Register 193
Authority: AS 47.05.010