Sec. 37.05.142. Accounting for program receipts.
The Department of Administration shall establish and maintain separate accounts by program source for all program receipts that state agencies deposit under AS 37.10.050 or under another statute if the program receipts are exempted by law from the deposit requirements of AS 37.10.050 .
Sec. 37.05.144. Appropriations based upon program receipts.
The annual estimated balance in each account maintained under AS 37.05.142 may be used by the legislature to make appropriations to state agencies to administer the programs generating the program receipts, to implement the laws related to the functions generating the program receipts, or to cover costs associated with the collection of the program receipts.
Sec. 37.05.146. Definition of program receipts and non-general fund program receipts.
(a) In AS 37.05.142 - 37.05.146 and AS 37.07.080 , "program receipts" means fees, charges, income earned on assets, and other state money received by a state agency in connection with the performance of its functions. Unless otherwise provided in this section, program receipts are accounted for within, and appropriated from, the general fund of the state.
(b) The program receipts listed in this subsection are accounted for separately, and appropriations from these program receipts are not made from the unrestricted general fund:
(1) federal receipts;
(2) University of Alaska receipts (AS 14.40.491 );
(3) designated program receipts; in this paragraph, "designated program receipts" means money received by the state from a source other than the state or federal government that is restricted to a specific use by the terms of a gift, grant, bequest, or contract;
(4) receipts of or from the trust established by AS 37.14.400 - 37.14.450, except reimbursements described in AS 37.14.410 ;
(5) receipts of the Alaska Fire Standards Council for which a taxpayer is allowed a credit under AS 21.89.075 .
(c) The program receipts of the following are accounted for separately, and appropriations from these program receipts are not made from the unrestricted general fund:
(1) highway working capital fund (AS 44.68.210 );
(2) [Repealed, Sec. 10 ch 58 SLA 2006].
(3) loan funds;
(4) international airport revenue fund (AS 37.15.430 );
(5) corporate receipts earned or managed by a public corporation of the state;
(6) fish and game fund (AS 16.05.100 );
(7) school fund (AS 43.50.140 );
(8) training and building fund (AS 23.20.130 );
(9) retirement funds (AS 14.25, AS 22.25, AS 26.05.222 , AS 39.35, and former AS 39.37);
(10) permanent fund (art. IX, sec. 15, Alaska Constitution);
(11) public school trust fund (AS 37.14.110 );
(12) second injury fund (AS 23.30.040 );
(13) fishermen's fund (AS 23.35.060 );
(14) FICA administration fund (AS 39.30.050 );
(15) receipts of the employee benefits program established under AS 39.30.150 - 39.30.180;
(16) receipts of the deferred compensation program established under AS 39.45;
(17) clean air protection fund (AS 46.14.260 );
(18) receipts of the group insurance programs established under AS 39.30.090;
(19) mental health trust fund (AS 37.14.031 );
(20) Alaska children's trust (AS 37.14.200 );
(21) commercial fisheries test fishing operations (AS 16.05.050(a)(14));
(22) Regulatory Commission of Alaska under AS 42.05 and AS 42.06;
(23) Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission under AS 31.05;
(24) receipts of the Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development under AS 08.01.065 and from fines and penalties collected in licensing and disciplinary actions for occupations under AS 08.01.010;
(25) receipts from the seafood marketing assessment under AS 16.51.120 - 16.51.170, and receipts of the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute;
(26) the administrative cost charge under AS 44.33.113 for the state's role in the federal community development quota program;
(27) dive fishery management assessment receipts (AS 43.76.150 ), salmon fishery assessment receipts (AS 43.76.220 ), and permit buy-back assessment receipts (AS 43.76.300 );
(28) process service fees collected by the Department of Public Safety;
(29) Alaska Commercial Fisheries Entry Commission under AS 16.05.490 , 16.05.530, and AS 16.43;
(30) receipts of the Alaska Vocational Technical Center;
(31) Alaska Pioneers' Home and Alaska Veterans' Home care and support receipts under AS 47.55.030 ;
(32) receipts of the Department of Transportation and Public Facilities from tolls charged for use of the Whittier Tunnel;
(33) receipts of the Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development, division of insurance, from license fees and fees for services;
(34) receipts of the Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development from its functions relating to banking, securities, and corporations;
(35) receipts of the Department of Corrections from the electronic prisoner monitoring program under AS 33.30.065 (d);
(36) receipts of the Department of Corrections from the operation of community residential centers;
(37) receipts of the Alaska Police Standards Council;
(38) receipts of the Department of Public Safety from fees for fire and life safety plan checks under AS 18.70.080 (b);
(39) receipts of the Department of Transportation and Public Facilities from the measurement standards and commercial vehicle enforcement program;
(40) receipts of the Department of Education and Early Development for teacher certification under AS 14.20.020 ;
(41) receipts of the Professional Teaching Practices Commission from professional certification fees;
(42) receipts of the Department of Health and Social Services, Bureau of Vital Statistics;
(43) receipts of the Department of Corrections from the inmate telephone system;
(44) receipts of the Department of Public Safety from the Alaska automated fingerprint system under AS 44.41.025 (b);
(45) receipts of the Department of Administration from the boat registration program under AS 05.25.096 ;
(46) state land disposal program (AS 38.04.022 );
(47) shore fisheries development lease program account (AS 38.05.082(f));
(48) timber receipts account (AS 38.05.110 );
(49) workers' safety and compensation administration account (AS 23.05.067);
(50) receipts of fees for recording and related services of the Department of Natural Resources (AS 40.17.030 (a)(10), 40.17.070; AS 44.37.025(b), 44.37.027(c); AS 45.29.303 (b), 45.29.525, and 45.29.619(b));
(51) receipts described in AS 46.03.482 (b)(1) and (2) received under the commercial passenger vessel environmental compliance program;
(52) receipts of the Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development for fees for business licenses and license endorsements under AS 43.70;
(53) receipts of fees for certain inspections deposited under AS 05.20.060, AS 18.60.360 , 18.60.395, 18.60.800, and AS 18.62.030 in the building safety account created under AS 44.31.025 ;
(54) passenger facility charges collected at state-owned and operated airports under Federal Aviation Administration guidelines;
(55) money received by the Department of Environmental Conservation from the inspection of food under AS 17.20;
(56) fees received by the Department of Natural Resources under AS 41.21.026 for the use of state park system facilities;
(57) application and renewal fees received by the Department of Public Safety under AS 18.65.400 - 18.65.490 for licenses for security guards and security guard agencies;
(58) fees received by the Department of Public Safety under AS 18.65.700 - 18.65.790 for the issuance, renewal, and replacement of permits to carry concealed handguns;
(59) monetary recoveries by the Department of Health and Social Services of Medicaid expenditures from recipients, third parties, and providers under AS 47;
(60) the state's share of overpayments collected by the Department of Health and Social Services under AS 47.05.080 ;
(61) income received by the Department of Health and Social Services from a state or federal agency for children in foster care under AS 47.14.100;
(62) fees received by the Department of Health and Social Services under AS 44.29.022 for nursing and planning services provided at health centers;
(63) fees received by the Department of Health and Social Services under AS 44.29.022 for genetic screening clinics and specialty clinics;
(64) fees received by the Department of Health and Social Services under AS 18.08.080 for the certification of emergency medical technicians, emergency medical dispatchers, and emergency medical technician instructors;
(65) fees collected by the Department of Health and Social Services under AS 44.29.022 from the certification of x-ray machines;
(66) fees collected under AS 44.29.022 by the Department of Health and Social Services under the Alcohol Safety Action Program;
(67) fees received by the Department of Health and Social Services under AS 47.32;
(68) charges, rentals, and fees for airport or air navigation facility contracts, leases, and other arrangements under AS 02.15.020 and 02.15.090;
(69) fees for utility facility permits under AS 02.15.102 , encroachment permits under AS 02.15.106 , utility right-of-way permits under AS 19.25.010 , and utility facility permits under AS 35.10.210 ;
(70) recoveries of repair costs for damage to highway fixtures;
(71) the state's share of child support collections for reimbursement of the cost of the Alaska temporary assistance program as provided under AS 25.27.120 , 25.27.130, and AS 47.27.040 ;
(72) vehicle registration fees collected under AS 28.10.421 and other fees and charges collected under AS 28.10.441 ;
(73) fees for drivers' licenses, drivers' permits, renewals, and driver skills tests collected under AS 28.15.271 ;
(74) user fees and other fees collected by the Department of Education and Early Development under AS 14.57.010 ;
(75) student tuition and other fees related to schools that are operated by the state and collected under AS 14.07.030 ;
(76) receipts of fees for registration and renewal of registration for the sale of business opportunities under AS 45.66.040 ;
(77) emission control permit receipts account (AS 46.14.265 );
(78) workers' compensation benefits guaranty fund (AS 23.30.082 );
(79) receipts of the Department of Environmental Conservation from the registration of pesticides and broadcast chemicals and the licensing of pesticide applicators under AS 44.46.025 ;
(80) proceeds from prison employment, including deductions from prisoner wages for the cost of confinement under AS 33.30.201 (b) and forfeited wages under AS 33.30.201 (e);
(81) fees collected under AS 18.74.080 ;
(82) civil legal services fund under AS 37.05.590 ;
(83) donations to the anatomical gift awareness fund under AS 13.50.150;
(84) crime victim compensation fund (AS 18.67.162 ).
Sec. 37.05.150. Funds and accounts.
The accounting system shall be in accordance with accepted principles of governmental (fund) accounting and shall include both budgetary and property accounts. The system must provide records showing at all times by funds, accounts, and other pertinent classifications the amounts appropriated, the estimated revenue, actual revenue or receipts, the amounts available for expenditure, the total expenditures, the unliquidated obligations, actual balances on hand, and the unencumbered balances of appropriations for each state agency.
Sec. 37.05.151. [Renumbered as AS 37.05.500 ].
Repealed or Renumbered
Sec. 37.05.152. [Renumbered as AS 37.05.510 ].
Repealed or Renumbered
Sec. 37.05.153. [Renumbered as AS 37.05.520 ].
Repealed or Renumbered
Sec. 37.05.156. [Renumbered as AS 37.05.540 ].
Repealed or Renumbered
Sec. 37.05.157. , 37.05.158l Reserve for capital outlay account; reserve for energy facilities development account. [Repealed, Sec. 62 ch 14 SLA 1987].
Repealed or Renumbered
Sec. 37.05.159. Reserve for emergency operating expenses account. [Repealed, Sec. 2 ch 58 SLA 1986].
Repealed or Renumbered
Sec. 37.05.160. Property records.
The Department of Administration shall direct the use of inventory records by all state agencies to show all fixed and movable property of the state. The records must be based on a physical inventory and charged with all subsequent purchases and shall be reduced by all property traded in, condemned, or disposed of. The accuracy of the property record shall be verified periodically by actual inspection of the property by the department. The state agencies may be required to take physical inventory of properties annually and at other times as the department directs.
Sec. 37.05.165. Petty cash accounts.
The Department of Administration shall determine the amount of the petty cash accounts needed by each state agency and inspect the petty cash accounts at least once each year to determine that the total plus amounts of receipts for unreplenished disbursements is equal to the fixed sum of cash set aside. Shortages in petty cash accounts are a personal liability of the responsible head of the agency to whom the account is set aside. The department shall adopt necessary regulations governing use and replenishment of petty cash funds.
Sec. 37.05.170. Restrictions on payments and obligations.
Payment may not be made and obligations may not be incurred against a fund unless the Department of Administration certifies that its records disclose that there is a sufficient unencumbered balance available in the fund and that an appropriation or expenditure authorization has been made for the purpose for which it is intended to incur the obligation.
Sec. 37.05.180. Limitation on payment of warrants.
A warrant upon the state treasury may not be paid unless presented at the office of the commissioner of revenue within six months of the date of its issuance. A warrant not presented within that time is presumed abandoned, except where the warrant is for the payment of a permanent fund dividend or a benefit payment or refund under AS 14.25, AS 22.25, AS 26.05, AS 39.30, AS 39.35, former AS 39.37, or AS 39.45. Money held for an abandoned warrant shall be delivered to the custody of the Department of Revenue to be administered as unclaimed property under AS 34.45.
Sec. 37.05.190. Pre-audit of claims.
(a) The Department of Administration shall examine and audit every receipt, account, bill, claim, refund, and demand on the funds in the state treasury arising from activities carried on by state agencies. It shall determine whether or not the obligation is incurred in accordance with laws and regulations adopted under authority of law, and that the amount is correct and is unpaid.
(b) The department may not approve for payment an account, bill, claim, refund, or demand on funds in the state treasury unless the claim is ordered by act of the legislature or is contracted against the state by an authorized officer or agent of the state.
Sec. 37.05.200. Pre-audit of receipts.
The Department of Revenue shall transmit to the Department of Administration copies of receipt documents showing all receipts received by the Department of Revenue. The receipt documents shall be audited, examined, and the amounts entered in the proper accounts in the records of the Department of Administration. The Department of Administration may adopt regulations to establish the system for providing current receipt documents.
Sec. 37.05.210. Fiscal reporting and statistics.
(a) The Department of Administration shall
(1) file with the governor and with the legislative auditor before December 16 a report of the financial transactions of the preceding fiscal year and of the financial condition of the state as of the end of that year, prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and audited by the legislative auditor in accordance with generally accepted audit standards, with comments and supplementary data that the Department of Administration considers necessary; this report shall be printed for the information of the legislature and the public;
(2) compile statistics necessary for the budget and other statistics required by the governor;
(3) file a travel and compensation report with the legislature by January 31 of each year containing detailed information for the previous calendar year of the salaries, per diem, travel expenses, relocation expenses, and any additional allowances for
(A) the governor, the lieutenant governor, and the chiefs of staff of the governor and lieutenant governor;
(B) the president and vice-president of the University of Alaska and the chancellors of the individual campuses of the university;
(C) the commissioners or other executive heads of the principal departments in the executive branch of state government, and the deputy commissioners and division directors in those departments; and
(D) the executive heads of public corporations created by law, including the Alaska Railroad Corporation.
(b) By January 21 of each year, the University of Alaska and each public corporation shall provide the information related to salaries, per diem, travel expenses, relocation expenses, and any additional allowances to the Department of Administration in the form and manner prescribed by the department.
Article 03. PAYMENT FOR STATE PURCHASES
Sec. 37.05.220. Purchasing agent. [Repealed, Sec. 67 ch 106 SLA 1986. For current provisions see AS 36.30].
Repealed or Renumbered
Sec. 37.05.225. [Renumbered as AS 36.30.180 ].
Repealed or Renumbered